Top 10 New Radio Singles for Fall 2012 Part One

As we leave summer behind us and move into the fall, the time has come for most artists to release new radio singles.  Fall radio singles differ from summer singles in many ways as summer usually is the time for fun loud singles with earworm melodies that people can blast on the radio while driving to the beach with their friends.    Conversely, fall is typically a time for inspiration, reflection, and break ups.  Much like in the movie business, the fall and winter are the time when many award winning selections are released (read: ballads) and many artists save up their best songs for these next few months.  Below are my top 10 new single releases so far for the fall.  As we enter September, I'm sure I'll have to add to this list but we'll worry about that then.  For now happy listening to the top 10 new fall singles of 2012:

1. Mercy Me- You Are I AM

Easily the best song on Mercy Me's latest album The Hurt & The Healer, "You Are I AM" recently was sent to radio for adds and may be a contender for Song of the Year at the Dove Awards.  The song speaks about the all sufficiency of Christ in a believers life, a much needed reminder for all in a world that is full of distractions.



2. Plumb- Need You Now (How Many Times)

The most radio friendly song to come from Plumb in years, this plaintive cry for God's presence should be the song that pushes Plumb into the limelight of CCM.



3. Abandon- Live It Out

This is my favorite song from Abandon's 2011 release Control and it frustrates me that it's taken them nearly TWO YEARS to release it.  In my opinion, it should have been the follow up to carrier single "Feel It In Your Heart" not the fifth single!  But, why am I complaining?  It is out now- hopefully radio takes it to the top!  Check out a cool remix of this song by Family Force 5 member Soul Glow (Darren King Remix) too!





4. For King and Country- Proof of Your Love

After a top 5 hit with "Busted Heart (Hold on to Me)", the brothers of Rebecca St. James have released the best song on their album to radio and it's already about to hit #1!  Look for these guys to be the next big thing....



5. Meredith Andrews- Not For a Moment (After All)

I have liked Meredith Andrews since her debut single "You're Not Alone" in 2008 but I feel that her last album As Long As It Takes was criminally under-promoted (despite winning two Dove Awards for Worship Album and Song of the Year, the record only had one promoted radio single, the top 10 hit "Can Anybody Hear Me".  Her Dove Award winning song "Because of Your Love" wasn't even promoted to radio) Let's hope that this beautiful worship song will put her back on the map.  I can see young girls singing this in church for years to come!



6. Building 429- Right Beside You (with Dawn Michelle from Fireflight)

Much like what Third Day did on their songs "Run to You" and "Born Again" with Leslie Morsley from Flyleaf, Building 429 teams with chick rocker Dawn Michelle from Fireflight for a radio ready anthemic midtempo rocker about bearing one another's burdens.  "Right Beside You" has a bit more theological truth than either Third Day song, especially in the first verse, which I really do appreciate.  I'm betting that this one will be another big hit for B429 from their breakthrough record Listen to the Sound and solidify them as a mainstay in CCM.  It is quite possible, though, that the continuing success of their single "Where I Belong" could overshadow "Right Beside You" like it did with their other single "Made For You" (it made the top 10 on CHR radio but quickly disappeared from the charts in the middle of its run after the release of "Where I Belong") and keep it from becoming the hit it deserves to be.  Time will tell...



7. Moriah Peters- Well Done

I feel this song would have been suited better for a late spring/ early summer release with its carefree melody and sunny guitar work but it should be a nice break from the harder hitting material released during the fall.  Moriah Peters is one of CCM's newest and brightest talents and I would hate to see her overlooked. This song is very reminiscent of Jamie Grace's "Hold Me" which was a HUGE hit for her, so hopefully this will do the same for Miss Peters.



8. Kari Jobe- Steady My Heart

I must admit, when Kari Jobe debuted a couple of years ago, the only reason I even bothered to check out her music was because she was so beautiful. I really felt her first album was a snore-fest; I didn't enjoy her vocals all that much and felt her songs were generic at best. But after she signed to Sparrow Records, home to many of my favorite artists, I decided to give her another shot (if only to see her beautiful face again- haha!) and it looks (no pun intended) like the major label did their work!  "Steady My Heart"shows real growth in all aspects of Kari's music: vocally, she finally found her style (somewhat reminiscent of Out of the Grey's Christine Dente and Sixpence None the Richer's Leah Nash), melodically, the song is super catchy and memorable, musically, it's top notch CCM pop, and lyrically it's passionate and relate-able,  Perfect encouragement for the fall rush!




9. Brandon Heath- Jesus in Disguise

I had an issue with the lyrics of this one when I first heard it, which is why its so low on the list but after discussing this song with a friend the other day, I'm beginning to see where B-Heath is coming from.  Hint: Think of Jesus on the Road to Emmaus....



10. Mark Schultz- All Things Possible

There is  unique nothing unique about this song.  We've heard stuff like it before.  But there's something about Mark singing a solid melody that makes me happy.  If you're looking for something different, you can skip this one, but if you're like a classic voice singing classic encouragement, this is for you.



On a Side Note:

Jon McLaughlin & Sara Barielles- Summer is Over

This isn't a Christian song but I feel it perfectly fits with this blog post as it is about summer being over.  I wish they'd play this on mainstream radio but, alas, there are no synthesizers to be found in it; therefore, mainstream radio won't touch it :/  Great song about the end of summer love.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Artists I Miss

Indie Artist Rundown

Top 14 Albums of 2014