Top 14 Albums of 2014

2014 was a great year in Christian music! Although radio continues to play the same 20 songs for 2 years, there's been plenty of good music circulating your local Bible book store. So get out there (or go to iTunes) and buy these albums ASAP!



1. NEEDTOBREATHE- Rivers in the Wasteland




NEEDTOBREATHE is always in the top 3 on my year end charts, when they release an album, and usually if I place them lower than #1 I regret it later. NTB albums usually are slow burners. But Wasteland was an instant classic to me. Sure, there are songs that will have to grow on me (Carolina, State I'm In) but this is clearly some of NTB's best work. Their refocus on Christ and spiritual themes throughout added to their love of all things grandiose and acoustic bring the perfect balance of passion and professionalism to the table. Could this be NTB's best work? I'm not sure I'm ready to place this above The Outsiders quite yet but its close!

iPod Picks: Wasteland, Brother, Multiplied, Rise Again, More Heart, Less Attack, Difference Maker, The Heart


2. forKING&COUNTRY- Run Wild. Live Free. Love Strong.



There is no denying that, critically speaking, this album was one of the best to be released in CCM this year. This is the kind of music CCM needs to be making. Look for these guys to be our generation's DCTalk. They are just too good to not be noticed by the pop world. Lyrics, instrumentation, melody, harmony, they've got it all. Thank you fK&C and we look forward to what you will do next.

iPod Picks: Fix My Eyes, Shoulder, To The Dreamers, Without You, Run Wild, Its Not Over Yet, Long Live 


3. Tenth Avenue North- Cathedrals/Islands



Oddly enough, my favorite songs from this album also appear on what everyone thought was the album preview EP Islands. Even more odd, only the first single "No Man is an Island" actually appears on the standard version of Cathedrals. You seriously MUST buy the deluxe edition or purchase the Islands EP online. This is easily TAN's most cohesive and well thought out release of their career. Now if they only incorporated the whole Islands EP into the standard tracklist....

iPod Picks: No Man is an Island, For Those Who Can't Speak, Forgive Me, Stars in the Night, Cathedrals, Just Getting By


4. Francesca Battastelli- If We're Honest



Every track on this record is a HIT! After the sophomore slump which was Hundred More Years (not a bad album just not as good as her debut) Frannie comes roaring back with what is easily her career record. Each song is filled with gooey hooks, Christ-centered themes and well thought out lyrics. No song is half-baked and even the bonus songs could have made the album. Francesca is back and she is better than ever. Look for radio to be all over this album for the next 3 years.

iPod Picks: Write Your Story, He Knows My Name, If We're Honest, Hand of God, Choose to Love, When the Crazy Kicks In, Tonight (w/ All Sons & Daughters)


5. MercyMe- Welcome to the New



Lyrically, this album spoke to me in a profound way. The theme here is "Jesus Christ is enough". This was such a great reminder of the simplicity of salvation and a pull back from the works-based approval that an over-emphasis on Lordship salvation teaching can pull Christians into. Musically, MercyMe has never sounded more confidant or fresh. Nothing stale here. Some of the genres they try don't work as well (which is why they placed #5 and not #1) but this album was such an encouragement to me to remember that I am kept in Christ by the same Gospel that saved me.

iPod Picks: Greater, Finish What He Started, Shake, Welcome to the New, Wishful Thinking


6. Moriah Peters- BRAVE



Let's be honest, Moriah Peter's debut album was charming but forgettable. Everyone knew she was capable of more but her label didn't seem interested in mining her talent. Thankfully that all changed on Brave and we have a bold, modern, confident and radio-ready set of songs here that could rival anything played on mainstream radio. There's just enough of a 80's throwback feel to be different ("Leave It All Behind" is clearly inspired by Journey) but Moriah joins her husband's band, for King & Country, in the category of "This is the kind of music CCML needs". A true breath of fresh air.

iPod Picks: You Carry Me, Leave It All Behind, Don't Want to Live for Me, Stand Strong, Waterfall, I'll Wait for You (w/ husband Joel Smallbone of fK&C)


7. Unspoken- Unspoken



I loved, loved, loved Unspoken's EP Waking Up, all of which is included here. Unspoken is just really good at writing catchy pop songs. Every song is great. I can listen to this album all the way through 3-4 times without tiring of it. Watch out for these guys. They will be around for a while.

iPod Picks: Who You Are, Start a Fire, Bury the Workman, Lift My Life Up, Tomorrow (Radio Edit), In Your Hands


8. Jason Gray- Love Will Have the Final Word



OK, I have to be honest. I don't actually own this album yet but I will soon! I listened to it on YouTube and man Jason Gray just knows how to speak what my heart feels. God bless him. This is the kind of music I would make if I were a recording artist.

iPod Picks: Even This Will Be Made Beautiful, Laughing Out Loud, Every Act of Love, Love Will Have the Final Word, I Don't Know How



9.Anthem Lights- You Have My Heart



I love four part harmony. This is a great pop album by a male vocal group. CCM doesn't have enough pop vocal groups anymore. Here's to hoping Anthem Lights takes a break from recording pop covers and love songs and puts out another CCM release.... and here's to more hoping that a major label agrees to distribute it and market it to radio. We need vocal groups back in CCM! 

iPod Picks: Fight Forever, You Have My Heart, Follow Your Heart, The Unknown,  What I'm Looking For


10. Casting Crowns- Thrive




Casting Crowns tweaked their format slightly here but, basically, this is a typical Casting Crowns album which means three things: 
1. You know how the songs will sound. 
2. The lyrics will convict you to tears. 
3. I'm sure I will be singing a bunch of these songs for special music at church in the near future. 
You know what you're going to get with Casting Crowns and there's something to be said about consistency. 

iPod Picks: Broken Together, Thrive, Waiting for the Night to Fall, Follow Me, All You've Ever Wanted



11. David Dunn- Crystal Clear EP



I love this guy's indie releases and am so glad he got signed to a major label.... I just wish this was a full-length record. 

iPod Picks: Today is Beautiful, It is Well, Have Everything


12. Switchfoot- Fading West



Always count on Switchfoot to put out a quality product... I just wish this packed the same punch as Vice Versus. This is surprisingly.... a pop album... like something I'd expect from Unspoken or Tenth Avenue North.... Still, anything Switchfoot puts out is end-of-year worthy.

iPod Pick: Love Alone is Worth the Fight, When We Come Alive, Let it Out, Slipping Away


13. Ellie Holcomb- As Sure As The Sun



Brown Bannister's daughter makes it big-time! Ellie is just a breath of honest fresh air in a genre of overproduction. I love that Ellie broke through without any major label support. Here's to hoping her success continuesiPod Picks:Broken Beautiful, As Sure As The Sun, My Portion and My Strength, Love Never Fails


14. Group 1 Crew- #Faster / #Stronger



G1C isn't the same without Blanca (looking forward to her solo debut in 2015!) but all the guest artists really elevate these EPs. I'm not the biggest fan of Manny's rap style (I find some of his lyrical choices to be cheesy and at times irreverent) but I love the style and freshness of G1C production and they always have killer hooks. Also, any time I get to hear Rachael Lampa, Jonathan Thulin and Moriah Peters all on one project, it automatically is a memorable record :)

iPod Picks: A Little Closer, The Wonder Years (f/ Moriah Peters), Heaven (f/ Jonathan Thulin), Everyday is a Miracle (f/ Rachael Lampa), Keep Goin' (f/ Capitol Kings)

Comments

  1. Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by "vocal groups"? What's the difference between those types of groups and the ones in the CCM industry today?
    *Sunny
    P.S. Hope you're having a great Thanksgiving! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vocal groups (Avalon, Anthem Lights, DCTalk, Point of Grace) are different than bands (Newsboys, Casting Crowns, Mercy Me) in that all members sing and don't necessarily play instruments. In a band, you have a lead singer and a bunch of people playing instruments. A few others may sing background vocals and occasional lead but a true vocal group evenly splits the singing and has LOTS of harmony. For years vocal groups were standard in CCM (look at the Southern Gospel industry for example) but recently the praise and rock bands have taken over the industry and I just wish there were more options when it comes to vocal groups and harmony and stuff.

      Delete
  2. Also....I agree that Run Wild should be at the #2 spot. That is probably the best CCM album that's been released in years. I just love For King & Country because their style of music is just so different from all the other CCM groups out there these days. I don't truly own the album yet...but I happen to know that my sister bought it for me as a Christmas present. ;) Yay!
    *Sunny

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Artists I Miss

Indie Artist Rundown

The Corners- Born At Last Review