Christian Artists I Miss


1. DC Talk


When it was announced that Kevin Max was joining the newly reformed Audio Adrenaline, small glimmers of hope sprang into the hearts of 90's CCM fans everywhere as they imagined the mother of all tour possibilities: Toby Mac & Diverse City with Michael Tait & Newsboys and Kevin Max & Audio Adrenaline... and since they're all together why not throw in a DC Talk reunion!!! Seriously someone needs to make this happen! NOW! While its more likely for Steven Curtis Chapman and Lecrae to do a duets album at this point than for DC Talk to make a reunion album with the heavy touring and recording schedules TobyMac, Tait & K-Max now have with their new bands, a live reunion to sing old DC Talk hits backed by Newsboys & Audio A (or even Diverse City) would be EPIC BEYOND ALL REASON and, honestly, they need to make this happen, even if its only for one night. 




2. Twila Paris


It's not so much that Twila Paris has completely disappeared from the scene (she released a patriotic-themed compilation album with two new recordings just last fall and continues to perform regularly on the Christian Classics Tour) but that she's ceased writing and recording new non-worship music. While she released 3 praise & worship albums, a lullaby collection and a plethora of greatest hits sets in the 2000's, Twila hasn't put out a non-praise & worship adult-contemporary record since 1999's phenomenal True North. While I appreciate Twila's praise songs ("Lamb of God" being my favorite), it has always been her challenging commentary on the Christian experience that she shared in her non worship releases that endeared her to me. Twila was an artist that understood the balance of honesty, doctrine, and melody. They rarely make artists like her anymore and I, for one, would love another True North, Keepin' My Eyes On You, Cry For a Desert, Kingdom Seekers, Beyond a Dream, Where I Stand or Warrior is a Child




3. Michelle Tumes


Michelle Tunes was a breath of fresh air to the CCM industry when she debuted back in 1998 with her #1 hit "Healing Waters" and the now classic album Listen. While everyone else was trying to be louder and more modern, Tumes was happy to channel her inner Enya and just sing beautiful melodies backed by strings, piano and layered harmonies. That was until Sparrow Records either forced or allowed (I never got the story straight) the career ending pop album Dream, which had far more in common with Mandy Moore or Stacie Oricco than it did Enya or Sarah Brightman. Needless to say, the album did not perform well as it completely alienated her core audience (although, who can blame Tumes for wanting to sing a few upbeat songs- there just should have been more of a bridge musically between projects so as not to shock everyone so severely) and Sparrow did not renew their contract with Tumes. In the meantime Michelle moved to the West Coast, scored a movie, had a baby and self-released a stunning self-titled record in 2006 that perfectly married the sounds of all three of her previous releases with a new-found confidence and maturity. A new project from her is long overdue and while I am very happy to return to any of her previous albums on any given day (even Dream has grown on me!)  I would appreciate, even more, some new songs.



4. Susan Ashton


Susan Ashton was CCM royalty in the 90's. However, in 1999 she chose to leave the CCM industry for Country music who basically chewed her up, spit her out, and left her to pick up the pieces.While many in CCM thought of Susan as their Christian country singer, none of them were thrilled to see her abandon one genre for the other. Susan ended up moving to England as a nanny for a while and occasionally participated in British worship projects including Lost in Wonder with Christine Dente (Out of the Grey) and Michelle Tumes. She has recently released a 5-song EP called Thief detailing her experienced over the last 15 years. It is equal parts beautiful and heart-breaking and is far more country than it is CCM. I for one, am stoked to hear her gorgeous voice again, which has not lost any of its beauty over time. Here's to hoping a full-length is soon to follow and that she includes some CCM songs on the project.



5. Avalon


I'm a pretty big Avalon fan. I loved every era of Avalon and while I do have my favorites (Janna/Jody/Michael/Melissa first then Jody/Janna/Nikki/Michael with Jody/Janna/Michael/Cheri in a close third) I love all their line ups and am hoping that new music is on its way soon from the most recent formation of Avalon. They've recently revived their Facebook account and website and are performing select concerts again so all signs are pointing to a new record in the near future. I'm hoping that they return to their dance pop days of A Maze of Grace as that style would fit in great in today's musical landscape.




6. Rebecca St. James


It's a bit odd to me that RSJ, CCM's favorite Bachelorette ended up marrying Cubbie Fink, the bassist from Foster the People ("Pumped Up Kicks") but she seems happy... and I'm hoping she's happy enough to release another pop album! I'm really hoping for something similar to Transform with a little dubstep thrown in for fun. Her 2011 worship album I Will Praise You left much to be desired in many departments and she hasn't released a pop/rock CD since 2005. It's time Becca- we miss you!



7. Mainstay


Just as their single "Believe" was becoming the biggest hit of their career and their follow up singles "Become Who You Are" and "Where Your Heart Belongs" were burning up the CHR and AC charts respectively, Mainstay decided to call it quits. Their two albums remain firmly planted on my iPod and I would love for them to make a comeback!




8. Out of the Grey


You can never fault a family for stepping back from the limelight to raise their kids in a more stable environment but I still miss the smart lyricism, killer guitar solos and lilting vocals from CCM's premiere husband & wife duo. Maybe now that their kids are older, Scott & Christine Dente will be able to go back to making the smart pop music for thinking Christians that we all miss. 





9. Ivoryline



They say they haven't broken up but we haven't had new music from these guys since early 2010 and there has been no word on a new single or album. Vessels is easily one of the best Christian Rock albums to be released this decade hands down. This is your year guys- please blow me away again.



10. Out of Eden


CCM's answer to Destiny's Child, En Vogue and TLC, Out of Eden, decided to call it quits just around the time Destiny's Child chose to take a break. Coincidence? I think not. OOE brought a cool R&B sound to the CHR charts that is severely missing right now. Please come back!




11. Chris Rice


Chris Rice is a great songwriter. His 90's albums are some of CCM's finest and even his forays into instrumentals, hymns, pop and adult contemporary in the last decade have been refreshing. I have no clue what he's been up to lately (his last proper album was in 2007) but I'd like him to come back and teach today's crop of worshipful singer songwriters a lesson or two. 



12. Bethany Dillon


To me, Bethany Dillon was someone who never quite met their potential. Maybe she wasn't challenged or pushed enough musically but regardless, very few people could turn a phrase or sing a line quite like Bethany. I know she's  busy being a mom right now but would it really be that difficult to spend a few days in the studio with her husband (Shane Bernard or Shane & Shane) and at least put out a duets album ?




13. Zoegirl


So Zoegirl recently announced their return... to make a lullaby album -_- Now I'm happy to have these girls back but I was hoping for something a bit more upbeat and dancey! While I'm sure the harmonies will be lovely on this lullaby project, their best work was always when they were layering their harmonies over synths and a heavy beat. Maybe that will be their next project... I hope so.... Also, this music video for "I Believe" is hilarious! Killer dance moves girls... LOL... Please watch this video just so you can have your daily laugh! I had to post "You Get Me" to show how much they changed in the years they were together... much improved girls, much improved! HAHA!






14. Anointed




After the departure of Nee-C Walls, Anointed was never the same, despite some decent singles and stellar vocal performances from brother & sister duo Steve & Da'dra Crawford.  Nee-C was the glue that held it together and she had a vocal swag that could not be matched. I think her harmony skills were sorely underrated as well. I don't know what happened Crawfords, but you need to convince Nee-C to come back. CCM needs you guys as a trio. 



15. Barlow Girl


While they technically only retired last fall, in reality Barlow Girl hasn't put out new non-holiday album since 2009. They were CCM's only rocker chicks and now they're gone. They filled a major gap in CCM for a long time and held a window open for female vocalists in CCM when males were dominating in the mid-2000's. Maybe a reunion will happen in a few years. Or a solo album from a couple of the girls? We'll see...




16. Lisa Bevill


One of the many victims of Sparrow Record's ugly album covers and budget cuts, Lisa's final album for the famed label in 1996 had 4 #1 radio hits and sold nearly 100,000 copies. She would be superstar by today's standards. But in 1996, that was sub-par for Sparrow Records so she was dropped. It's a shame too because she was really has a great voice. Her independently released 2000 self-titled album was a classy change of style for the vocalist but it's been 13 years and it high time to hear something new from her. This time though, I'm hoping for something more along the lines of "Chaperone". ;)




17. Eli



"King of the Hill" made me cry upon first listen in 1998. Eli had an honesty in his writing that very few could match and the same sort of spirit as Rich Mullins that was more concerned with vulnerability and excellence than hit singles. That's probably why he ended up getting dropped by his label. I do hope someone else gives him a shot because he's got something to say!



18. 4Him



I randomly bought 4Him's second to last album Walk On in the bargain bin at a Christian bookstore a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised at how great it was.! Musically it held up pretty well 12 years later; lyrically, melodically and vocally it was very well done. I've now heard all of 4Him's albums and I've gotta say, they haven't come out with a bad one yet! Mark's songwriting, Andy's distinctive tenor, Kirk's soulfulness and Marty's harmonies have yet to be matched by any male vocal quartet in CCM. While Mark has had some fleeting success as a solo artist (the inkwell has not run dry on his songwriting at all), primarily with family-oriented message songs, none of these guys have really made much of an impact since their disbandment. They recently regrouped for a tour so here's to hoping they'll make the reunion permanent and do like New Kids on the Block and pick up right where they left off with a new album. Also, check out these great mullets! 4Him was totally the Boys II Men of CCM. 





19. Chasen


Two #1 singles and three top 10 hits should have made these guys Tenth Avenue North's rivals but they were randomly removed from INO's (now FairTrade Services) roster and were planning on self-releasing a new single and possibly an album and then.... nothing. What's going on guys? 



20. Article One




Article One's sophomore album Colors & Sounds was a catchy and well thought out work of art. It even produced a handful of hit singles and should have warranted a full album follow up... but a tiny EP was all that they got... It featured a very Newsboys sounding lead single, "The One (I've Been Fighting For)", that was a minor hit. We've yet to hear more from these Canadians but I'd like to hear another album to the caliber of Colors & Sounds before its all over.





Comments

  1. Wow you really know your stuff. I really appreciate what you have to say here.

    I believe that it seems to some artists that everyone and their dog is doing CCM. :D

    My Mom used to say there is room for all of you and try to encourage me to go for it even though I never did, but it seems crowded and that is why this may be happening. So very much competition. What do you say to that thought?

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more thought for what CR has been up to:

    www.chrisrice.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing. I would say that while there are a lot of Christian bands crowding the market, there is always room for a new artist who has something unique to say and who does it in a why that is different than what everyone else is putting out. We don't need another Chris Tomlin or Casting Crowns but we could use a modern day version of a Keith Green, Twila Paris, David Meece or Amy Grant.... in life there's always competition- both inside and outside of music. But the good ones rise to the top. So if you're good and you have something unique to say, go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you had to cap the list at 20 or so, but what about Sierra? They--especially Wendi F. Green--wrote many of their own songs and had a distinctive sound. Not to put Point of Grace down, but Sierra did the trio thing a bit better than POG, even though they didn't sell that many albums. I have a feeling that, in addition to wanting to spend more time with their families, they broke up because, commercially, they lagged behind vocal groups from bigger labels, including 4Him and Avalon (both entries on your list). Their quality, however, made up for their lack of album sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely forgot about Sierra! They were great! Story of Life, Pray For Me, When I Let It Go, I Will Exalt the One... Great songs! I'm sorry I forgot about them :( They would have totally made the list! They're the only group I could think of that had a song with the same name as their group that was a hit single! I always thought that was a super fun fact :) They def did the trio thing better than POG is right now (although as a quartet the original POG is unparalleled IMO) and Sierra does get extra points for self writing their material. Thanks for the reminder- I'd be very happy of Sierra made a comeback :)

      Delete
  5. I came across your blog from the link you posted on Bethany Dillon's FB page (love her and miss her, too). I agree with a lot of this list and would especially love to see Dillon, Avalon, and Twila Paris back on the scene. I also would add Nichole Nordeman to this list. Even though she wrote all the songs for Music Inspired by the Story, her last original album was released in 2005. She has always been one of my favorite CCM songwriters, and a new album from her is long overdue!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erin,
    Thanks for your reply. I too really miss Nichole Nordeman- she definitely is one of my favorites! I thought about including her but because of her work with The Story and her new single on the Jesus Firm Foundation Hymns project ("Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus", which is doing really well on radio right now) I decided to leave her off... Although I probably should have included her! Nichole brought a sense of honesty and transparency to CCM that I really really miss. Hopefully we'll get some new music soon from her:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually don't know most of these artists except for a few. I really want Avalon, Rebecca St. James and ZOEgirl to make a comeback. They are awesome!
    *Sunny
    P.S. Loved reading about which Avalon lineups you prefered. My favorite is Janna/Jody/Cherie/Michael, but my second fave is Janna/Jody/Michael Nikki. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Avalon is really one of my favorite groups ever! I also am hoping those groups you mentioned will make a comeback but if they did I am sad to say that I don't think radio will play them :( I hope the radio landscape changes soon.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Indie Artist Rundown

The Corners- Born At Last Review