The Best Christmas Albums Of All Time


Everyone has there own list of classic Christmas albums.  For me, these are the ones that have stood the test of time and bring back all kinds of warm fuzzies at Christmas time.  As you can tell, my favorite Christmas song is O Holy Night and I prefer classy orchestrated yuletide offerings over folky ruminations of the season.  I've separated the Christian Classics from the Mainstream mainstays mainly because I like them for different reasons and since this is a CCM blog, I felt I needed to made a differentiation. Most importantly though, may the music recommended here point you to The One who this season is for: Jesus Christ Our LORD!

Christian Classics:


1. Amy Grant- Home For Christmas/ A Christmas Album

 

When I was a kid, we had both of these albums recorded to one of those 80 minute cassette tapes (one album on each side) so in my mind, these two Amy Grant classics go together- I can't think of one without the other.  Home For Christmas is a classy holiday album that many have since emulated and A Christmas Album is as trendy and 80's as they come but features classic compositions and arrangements that have been covered time after time. (see how I threw in that 80's reference?) This is how you make Christmas music folks, new artists, take note.  Christmas wouldn't be the same without "Breath of Heaven"!

Signature Songs: 
A Christmas Album: Love Has Come, Little Town, Sleigh Ride, Tennessee Christmas, Heirlooms
Home For Christmas: Breath of Heaven, Its the Most Wonderful Time of the Year, Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, Grown-Up Christmas List, Emmanuel God With Us

2. Steven Curtis Chapman- The Music of Christmas


Signature Songs: Christmas is All in the Heart, O Come All Ye Faithful, The Music of Christmas/ Hark the Herald Angels Sing, Our God is With Us

3. Natalie Grant- Believe


Signature Songs: Santa Clause is Coming to Town, What Christmas Means to Me, I Believe, Sweet Little Jesus Boy, Joy to the World, O Come All Ye Faithful

4. Point of Grace- Winter Wonderland


Signature Songs: Let There Be Light, Santa Medley, All is Well, On The First Light

5. Michael W. Smith- The Ultimate Christmas Collection 
(Christmas/Christmastime/It's a Wonderful Christmas)


Signature Songs: Gloria, Christmastime is Here, Christmas Day, The Promise, Jingle Bells

6. Travis Cotrell- Ring the Bells


Signature Songs: Ring the Bells, O Come O Come Emmanuel, Jesus Saves, 
Hark the Herald Angels Sing, In the First Light

7. Selah- Rose of Bethlehem



Signature Songs: Rose of Bethlehem, Mystery, Silent Night, O Holy Night

8. Barlow Girl- Home For Christmas



Signature Songs: Carol of the Bells/Sing We Now of Christmas, Panis Angelicus, 
Hallelujah Light Has Come, Angelic Proclamation 

9. Twila Paris- It's The Thought




Signature Songs: Wandering Pilgrim, It's the Thought, Midwinter, Alleluia Christ is Born

10. Bebo Norman- Christmas From the Realms of Glory



Signature Songs: Born to Die, The Rebel Jesus, Silver Bells, Come and Worship

Honorable Mention:

-Matthew West- The Heart of Christmas



Signature Songs: Come On Christmas, Give This Christmas Away, One Last Christmas, 
Day After Christmas, The Heart of Christmas

- MercyMe- The Christmas Sessions



Signature Songs: God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, Angels We Have Heard on High, 
Joseph's Lullaby, Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree

- Avalon- Joy



Signature Songs: Angel's Medley, Don't Save It All For Christmas Day, We Are the Reason, Winter Wonderland, Jesus Born on This Day

- Dave Barnes- Very Merry Christmas



Signature Songs: Very Merry Christmas, Mary & Joseph, Christmas Tonight, I Pray On Christmas, Family Tree, All I Want For Christmas Is You

Mainstream Classics:


1. Anne Murray- The Best of the Season


 I'm sorry but Christmas just wouldn't be Christmas without Anne Murray's "Christmas In Killarney"!  Its a staple in our house and I can't imagine any other song could bring our family so many laughs within 2 minutes as this one.  For that reason ALONE this is my #1 mainstream Christmas album.  However, all joking aside, my mom has all of Anne Murray's holiday music and it was one of the only mainstream Christmas albums we had growing up.  Many of Murray's versions of the classics remain my favorites simply because she sings them as they were written and meant to be sung.  No gimmicks or vocal gymnastics- just good songs sung by a virtually anonymous vocalist.

Signature Songs: Christmas in Killarney, Silver Bells, Joy to the World, Christmas Wishes

2. Josh Groban- Noel



Signature Song: I'll Be Home For Christmas, Panis Angelicus, Silent Night, Believe

3. Michael Buble- Christmas



Signature Song: Let it Snow, All I Want For Christmas is You, White Christmas

4. Martina McBride- White Christmas



Signature Songs: O Holy Night, Do You Hear What I Hear, Away in a Manger

5. Mariah Carey- Merry Christmas



Signature Song: All I Want For Christmas is You, O Holy Night, 
Christmas (Baby Please Come Home), Jesus Born on This Day, Jesus What a Wonderful Child

6. Elvis- Christmas



Signature Songs: Blue Christmas, Santa Clause is Back in Town, Here Comes Santa Clause

7. Bing Crosby- White Christmas



Signature Songs: White Christmas, Mele Kalikimaka (Merry Christmas), 
Its Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas,  Faith of Our Fathers

8. Harry Connick Jr.- Where My Heart Finds Christmas 



Signature Songs: Let It Snow, Sleigh Ride, Where My Heart Finds Christmas, 
What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?

9. Celine Dion- These Are the Special Times



Signature Songs: I'm Your Angel, O Holy Night, The Prayer, Don't Save It All For Christmas

10. Faith Hill- Joy to the World



Signature Songs: A Baby Changes Everything, The Little Drummer Boy, O Holy Night

Honorable Mention:

-Tran-Siberian Orchestra- Christmas Eve & Other Stories



Signature Song: Christmas in Sarajevo 12/24, O Come All Ye Faithful/O Holy Night, A Mad Russian's Christmas, Promises to Keep

- Frank Sinatra- A Jolly Christmas

Signature Song: Jingle Bells, The Christmas Song, I'll Be Home For Christmas

-Andrea Boccelli-  My Christmas 




Signature Songs:  The Lord's Prayer, Caro Gesu Bambino, God Bless Us Everyone

Comments

  1. GREAT list, Craig! After reading this post, I'm more excited for Christmas than I was before (if that's even possible!). Josh Groban's Noel was my grandmother's favorite Christmas album. Some of my favorite Christmas songs are from that CD.
    And oh my gosh, I LOVE Celine Dion's The Prayer!! That song is so amazing.
    And of course, I can't forget Avalon-their holiday album is wonderful. I almost wish they'd done another one---although I don't know how they could have topped the first. All of the vocals are just GORGEOUS. I liked their version of Don't Save It All For Christmas Day better than Celine Dion's---in my opinion the key of the song fits better with a male voice than a female one. :)
    *Sunny

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Artists I Miss

Indie Artist Rundown

The Corners- Born At Last Review