Top Christian Albums of 2019

Top Christian Albums of 2019

I have to be honest, I don't seek out newer CCM music as voraciously as I used to. For one, life is just too busy trying to balance marriage, parenting, church-life, work, and a never-ending list of side projects and ministries (check out my newest passion project Anthem Songs). But mostly, I'm just not excited about too much of the music coming out of the CCM machine right now. In a word, it's boring. 

Much of the CCM glut in 2019 was church collectives or "worship leaders" who have spent too much time trying to copy Ryan Tedder's mid-00's minimalist programmed production style or Hillsong United's "Oceans." I don't like anything coming out of Bethel Music (especially their doctrine), I don't enjoy Hip-Hop (I'm told CCM Hip Hop is pretty high quality but I just can't get into it), the CCM Pop/AC non-worship artists are taking 3-4 year breaks between album releases, and the new artists they are trying to launch seem to flop on arrival. 

I struggled to find 10 albums to fill this list... and I'll be honest... I only purchased and own the top FOUR albums listed here! I will only make comments on those since I've had repeated listens on those. A sad year for CCM indeed.... 2020 seems to be about the same... this blog has been diminishing for years but it may die soon or I may just become a legacy blog and remember the good old days of CCM in the 80's and 90's.... at any rate... here are my unexciting top 10 CCM albums of 2019:

1. Unspoken- Reason

A truly solid album from start to finish. Half of this album made my list last year as the Just Give Me Jesus EP. All of those songs are still good but the new content they saved for the LP is even better. In a normal year, this would have been disqualified from #1 because half of it was on an EP from 2018 but as 2019 goes, this half-new album was the best I heard. I love how Unspoken maintains such a gospel-centered focus on every song. It's never preachy but always Christ-centered, realistic, and ministry-minded

Best songs: Reason, Human Condition, Wasted Time, If We Only Knew, Never Would Have Made It, Can't Even Love Myself


2. Tenth Avenue North- No Shame

I am sad that Tenth Avenue North's swan song album did not make my #1 spot but the back half just underwhelmed. If they had combined last year's EP The Things We've Been Afraid To Say with this album we would have had a career-best record. Too bad, they will have to settle in at #2.

Best songs: Someone To Talk To, No Shame, Greater Than All My Regrets, The Future

3. Shane & Shane- Hymns Live

S&S are building a church music empire over at The Worship Initiative (a fantastic music resource for large churches). They have the best ear for good songs for the church. Even more impressive is their excellent interpretations of these songs. This is hands-down their best collection. At times their interpretation of hymns is unnecessary and gratuitous but their versions of contemporary hymns are the best available. I recommend this album for all song leaders.

Best songs: Is He Worthy, His Mercy Is More, I Will Wait For You, He Will Hold Me Fast, The Lord is My Salvation


4. Jeremy Camp- The Story Isn't Over

A surprisingly strong offering from an artist who seems to go on auto-pilot every other album. I was not a fan of EDM-lite The Answer but really enjoyed the modern-pop feel of I Will Follow. This album takes a more aggressive, modern pop turn and it really works with Jeremy's big voice. This is the first album from Jeremy Camp in a long time that feels incredibly current and even genre-pushing for CCM. I love that it's come at the same time as his blockbuster movie I Still Believe. I hope it's a big seller and I look forward to hearing these songs on the radio.

Best Songs: Dead Man Walking, Keep Me In The Moment, The Story's Not Over, Wilderness




5. Zack Williams- Rescue Story 
(Best songs: There Was Jesus, Rescue Story, Slave to Nothing)




6. Selah- Firm Foundation 
(Best songs: Yet Not I But Through Christ in Me, Jesus is King, He Will Hold Me Fast)

7. Danny Gokey- Haven't Seen It Yet 
(Best songs: Just Haven't Seen It Yet, Love Go Love People)

8. Big Daddy Weave- When the Light Comes 
(Best Songs: Alive, This is What We Live For, I Know)


9. Switchfoot- Native Tongue 
(Best songs: Native Tongue, The Strength To Let Go, The Hardest Art)



10. Hillsong- Awake 
(Best songs: King of Kings, Upper Room, He Shall Reign)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Artists I Miss

Indie Artist Rundown

Top 14 Albums of 2014