Top 13 Albums of 2013

I know I haven't kept up with this blog much in the last year or so... I've been kind of busy getting married ;) But as 2014 comes to a close I realized I never released a list of my favorite albums of 2013!!! As I've had a year to enjoy these records and let them marinate. Some have risen to classic status (1-5) and some started out as favorites but have not held up as well as I originally thought they would (7&13). So here's my list of the top 13 albums you should have listened to in 2013. Which are your favorites? 

1. Meredith Andrews- Worth It All


This is still my go-to album on Sunday mornings or any other time I want top prepare my heart for worship. I've always liked Meredith Andrews but on this album she really lets loose vocally and the passion is tangible. There is such a great balance her of corporate and personal worship songs. Radio friendly but not pandering, this album just never gets old/ A must buy.

iPod Picks: Strong God, Not For a Moment (After All), Burn Away, The Gospel Changes Everything, Open Up The Heavens


2. Mandisa- Overcomer


Mandisa really hits her stride here. Every song could be a radio hit. Look for Mandisa's star to keep rising with each record.

iPod Picks: Overcomer, Dear John, Joy Unspeakable, What Scars Are For, Press On


3. Newsboys- Restart (Deluxe Edition)


I don't think anyone saw this one coming. Newsboys has released one of the best pop albums in recent CCM history. This is one of those few records where I like the songs included on the Deluxe version better than half of the standard release so be sure to pay extra for the Deluxe set.

iPod Picks: That's How You Change the World, We Believe, Live With Abandon, Man on Fire, God is Movin'


4. Steven Curtis Chapman- Glorious Unfolding


A perfect follow-up to Beauty Will Rise and a musical return to form for SCC. This man's songwriting pen never runs dry. 

iPod Picks: The Glorious Unfolding, Love Take Me Over, At the Feet of Jesus, Finish What He's Begun, Something Beautiful


5. Plumb- Need You Now


At long last Plumb has returned and she's finally found her sound. Easily the best album of her career.

iPod Picks: Need You Now, Say Your Name, Don't Deserve You (both versions), One Drop, I Want You Here


6. Phil Wickham- The Ascension


There are some really great tracks on this record that could join "Beautiful" and "True Love" as worship standards.

iPod Picks: Glory, The Ascension, This is Amazing Grace, When My Heart is Torn Asunder, Tears of Joy


7. Natalie Grant- Hurricane


Certainly Nat's most radio-friendly project to date. I wish she took more risks or went a bit more epic in production like she has in the past but for a pop project, this is a solid set.

iPod Picks: In The End, Closer to Your Heart, Born to Be, I Love the Lord, Hurricane


8. Audrey Assad- Fortunate Fall


A truly beautiful and unique record that unfortunately has some doctrinal positions that I do not agree with. There is no denying the beauty in Audrey's voice and delivery or the delicate precision of her melodies and production.

iPod Picks: Good to Me, You Speak, I Shall Not Want, Help My Unbelief, Lead Kindly Light


9. Kerrie Roberts- Time For The Show


I wish Reunion would have given Kerrie a chance with this record. There are some real potential hits within this release that deserved a real radio push. In my opinion Kerrie is a victim of really bad A&R direction.

iPod Picks: What Are You Afraid Of, Middle of It All, Wake Up, Sing, Finally Home


10. Josh Wilson- Carry Me


A sleek and catchy record from start to finish with surprisingly deep insights hidden beneath breezy hooks and shiny production. I wish Sparrow would just let Josh's instrumentation shine and stop burying it beneath the glossy production.

iPod Picks: Pushing Back the Dark, Carry Me, What a Mystery, Faith is Not a Feeling, What I See Now


11. Steven Curtis Chapman- Deep Roots


Rootsy and authentic down home soulfood music. I love hymns. I love Steven Curtis Chapman. This is a winner.

iPod Picks: Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus, My Redeemer is Faithful and True, Be Still & Know, Blessed Assurance, Life is Like a Mountain Railroad (Life's Railway to Heaven)

12. Colton Dixon- A Messenger


This is the album I assumed Colton Dixon would make once he finished American Idol

iPod Picks: Never Gone, You Are, Rise, Let Them See You, Love Has Come For Me, This is Who I Am


13. Building 429- We Won't Be Shaken


After B429's epic album Listen to the Sound, I had high expectations for We Won't Be Shaken. This album is good but the songs just aren't quite as strong as their last record. Still good stuff though.

iPod Picks: We Won't Be Shaken, Press On (Wrecking Ball), Best & Worst, All I'm Holding, Get Up


**Bonus** 

Best EP of 2013: Unspoken- The World is Waking EP


Every song is a winner... so looking forward to their full-length record!

iPod Picks: Bury the Workman, Lift My Life Up, In Your Hands

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Artists I Miss

Indie Artist Rundown

The Corners- Born At Last Review